Been meaning to give your beauty products an organic and eco-friendly overhaul? Seyi Rania has got you covered. With a deep knowledge of natural beauty that doesn’t compromise your health and wellness, Seyi knows which products are good not only for your skin – but for the planet, too.
But that’s not all Seyi is about. She’s also a talented mental health counsellor, a gorgeous model and a dedicated Boody fan. We can’t get enough of her!
We caught up with Seyi to talk everything from natural beauty to her fave Boody styles.
Hey Seyi! How did your love for natural beauty, health and wellness come about?
My wellness journey began in 2011 when my beautiful mother passed away from breast cancer. I was only 19 at the time. Following her death, I began questioning why and how my mother developed such a horrible disease… so I did my research and came across many articles detailing potential links between environmental toxins and cancer. I also began attending workshops and lectures to learn more about organic health.
Since researching, I am shocked to learn the nasties/chemicals that are found in everyday conventional products and the impact it's potentially having on our health. Now that I know what I know, I have completely turned my back from conventional toxic products and use products (when possible) which are safe to use on my skin and safe for the environment. Did you know the body absorbs up to 60% from what's put onto the skin? Very scary!
Tell us about your favourite organic beauty products.
Goodness me, this is a tough question! However here are my all-time favourite beauty products I use weekly and can’t live without:
- Kora Organics Turmeric Brightening & Exfoliating Mask + their Noni Glow Face Oil
- Lavera Sensitive Facial Moisturiser
- BODILAB Green Tea + Chamomile Face Mask
- Vayda Organics Facial Cleansing Oil
What is your morning and evening beauty routines?
I like to keep my skincare routine simple. I suffer from acne oily prone skin so I have a routine that targets this skin type. I do not believe in undertaking a 10 step routine to achieve glowing healthy skin!
In the morning:
- I use the Lavera Gel cleanser + Sensitive facial moisturiser
- If I feel like I need it e.g. haven’t had enough sleep or my face is looking a bit puffy, 1-2 times a week, I apply a few drops of facial oil to my face then use a jade roller/Gua Sha to bring circulation back into my face. I find that I look less tired and more bright-eyed when using this technique!
In the evening:
Again I cleanse and moisturise, however, my evening routine can vary depending on what my skin needs.
- Twice a week I like to use an exfoliation mask (like the Kora Organics product I mentioned earlier) followed by a facial oil
- Once a week or every two weeks I like to use a clay mask followed by a facial oil
- If I am wearing makeup on the day then I ensure to double cleanser to remove all makeup, dirt and grime then moisturise. Without a proper clean, it will only lead to breakouts.
In what ways can everyone live a more healthy lifestyle?
I live by a few simple rules:
- Drink more water
- Aim for at least 20 minutes of physical activity per day
- Everything in moderation
- Practice gratitude and speak kindly to oneself
How can we all live a more eco-friendly lifestyle?
I think it’s good to question yourself on what you buy/use on a day-to-day basis and be mindful that whatever you buy will eventually end up in a landfill. If what you buy can be more sustainable, recyclable or biodegradable, then this will benefit our planet greatly.
To implement more eco-friendly habits, I do the following:
- Use a KeepCup. I am so strict with myself that if I forget my keep cup then I won’t buy a coffee!
- Use beeswax wraps instead of glad wrap and reusable ziplock bags as opposed to one use zip lock bags
- Walk instead of drive if possible
- Eco-friendly washing liquid
- In terms of food, buy more fruit/vegetables. Less likely to be wrapped up in plastics and good for you!
We hear you're a big Boody fan! What is it about our comfy and sustainable essentials you love?
I love the versatility of the essentials in that it is comfortable to wear around the home but also lovely to dress up and wear out during the day. The comfort and durability is also what I love about Boody. When I purchased my first pair of undies and leggings a year or two ago, I was immediately hooked.
My essentials/underwear wardrobe is about 60% Boody, however, I am aiming for 90%! I had even reached out to one of the customer representatives to submit a review and I admitted that when I wore the Boody sleepwear for the first time, it was the best night’s sleep I have had. That is comfort guaranteed!
Any favourite styles?
So many styles I can add here but I really love the Everyday Slip Dress in Black. Perfect for home and to wear out on a warm day. I also really like wearing ¾ sleeve tops with a pair of Boody leggings. My favourite work-from-home attire!
And of course, in between meetings and calls with my clients, I like to get out and go for a run. The Boody Active range is really lovely to wear and is durable. Comfort, durability and sustainability are all very important to me.
Outside of health and wellness, you are a mental health counsellor. That must be both rewarding and challenging?
Absolutely! So I have completed a degree in psychology and a masters in clinical counselling. My experience varies from homeless intake worker, behavioural therapist, NDIS support coordinator and support worker and school counsellor. Right now I am working in the education industry to provide support to students. I love what I do and I love that I can make such a difference.
You also do freelance modelling. Is that something you enjoy?
I love it so, so much. I have been a model for nine years and it has always been a passion of mine. In the last three years, I was discovered then signed by an agency and now I am represented by JR Management.
I have never thought to do it as a full-time occupation but I love that I get a great balance of passions between working in mental health, blogging about all things natural and beauty and doing awesome modelling gigs. Definitely can’t complain!
Any plans on the horizon or anything else you'd like to mention?
I am always thinking of ways of how I can do more with my beauty blog and spread the importance of natural beauty to all, however, right now I think I am happy where I am. I love that I can make a difference where possible. Though if someone asked me what is my ultimate dream, it would be to have my very own natural organic skincare range!